Home
Pesaro Culture
You are here: Home > What to see > Historic buildings and monuments > Fountain in piazza Lazzarini

Fountain in piazza Lazzarini

Fontana di piazza Lazzarini. Foto di Andrea Bertozzini
Fontana di piazza Lazzarini. Foto di Andrea Bertozzini
Fontana di piazza Lazzarini. Foto di Lamberto Bozzi dal sito www.crtpesaro.it
Fontana di piazza Lazzarini. Foto di Lamberto Bozzi dal sito www.crtpesaro.it

There are four antique fountains still remaining in the centre of Pesaro. They have been restored in recent times and are: in piazza del Popolo; at the Trebbio in piazza Lazzarini; the harbour fountain of the Porto in piazza Doria; the Foglietta near the canal harbour in calata Caio Duilio. Trebbio, from the term trivium, or where three streets meet, is the old name of the present piazza Lazzarini, which was named in 1869 after the painter and architect Giannandrea Lazzarini. He was  born in 1710, in a palazzo in the area of the fountain. The fountain serving the area of the Trebbio of Porta Collina (today’s piazza Lazzarini) was called the fountain of  san’Antonio after the church which then stood at the end of via dei Calzolari (now via Branca), called thus for the numerous shoemakers’ shops there. The fountain of the Trebbio came to Pesaro from the ducal palace of Castedurante (now Urbania) in 1621, when Federico Ubaldo della Rovere’s bride, Claudia de’ Medici, arrived in the city. The fountain was originally situated at the crossroads between corso XI Settembre and via Cavour. In 1822, after the fish market (Pescheria) had been built, it was transferred to the Trebbio opposite the entrance to the Teatro Rossini. In order to leave more space in the area in front of the theatre, between 1926 and ’27 the 17th. century fountain was again moved to palazzo Lazzarini. It stood there until 1991, when it was moved back to the position in front of the entrance to the Teatro Rossini, where it still stands today.  

 

Text based on: Giovanna Patrignani, Pesaro. La Radio storia della Città, Pesaro, Metauro Edizioni, 2008, pp. 78-79