Pesaro Culture
You are here: Home > What to see > Historic buildings and monuments > Palazzo Baviera

Palazzo Baviera

Palazzo Baviera

The oldest part of the palazzo (on the side of via san Francesco) was designed for Guidobaldo II Della Rovere by the ducal architect Filippo Terzi and built in 1564. La Paggeria (the ducal attendants’ residence) was part of the urban improvements the Duke predisposed for the city, and was commissioned to house the Duke’s ‘pages’, or rather the numberless dependants at the court, which was no longer large enough to hold them all.

Terzi only completed part of the building which was concluded by Niccolò Sabbatini in about 1620, under Francesco Maria II Della Rovere who also extended Palazzo Ducale and gave the piazza its definitive appearnce for the marriage of his son Federico Ubaldo to Claudia de' Medici.

After the Dukedom of Urbino had passed to the Holy See in 1631, la Paggeria, still owned by the Confraternita dell’Ospedale, was bought by the Marquises of Bavaria, a noble family of German origin in the service of the Della Rovere family.

Although the decoration remained unfinished, the palazzo is worthy of note both for the façade and its function as a back-drop. At the lower level the rusticated pillared arches create an analogy with Palazzo Ducale; the front of the upper storeys  is decorated with pilasters and the window cornices crowned with tympana. There is no portal but a great archway leading from the piazza to a small open space behind the building. The front has not undergone subsequent restoration.


Text based on: Giovanna Patrignani, Pesaro. La Radio storia della Città, Pesaro, Metauro Edizioni, 2008, pp. 38-39



palazzo Baviera piazza del Popolo
ownership private
closed to the public