Home
Pesaro Culture
You are here: Home > What to see > Churches > Church of San Cassiano and Eracliano

Church of San Cassiano and Eracliano

Chieasa di san Cassiano ed Eracliano
Proprietà Arcidiocesi di Pesaro. Autorizzazione alla riproduzione concessa dall’Ufficio Beni Culturali

San Cassiano is one of the most ancient churches in the city. The earliest document goes back to 1195, when the church was granted in emphyteusis to Bishop Enrico’s canons.  As a consequence of Paul II’s Papal Bull of 1465 the church became part of the Priory of Sant’Eracliano, with the prerogative assigned to the parish priest as first among the canons, second only to the Rector of the Cathedral.

The building has undergone radical restoration over the centuries. The belfry, which was originally octagonal, was rebuilt in the 16th. century; the Romanesque front was restored in 1889, the year inscribed on the plaque over the entrance.

The interior is a single room rendered harmonious by pilasters and columns with composite capitals and a dome. Under the 17th. century wooden crucifix in the abs is inserted a 15th. century stone tabernacle, with the figure of Christ Rising from the  Sepulchre carved in relief, symbolising the Host offered up on the altar. At the side altars is a painting by Carlo Paolucci of Sts. Cassian and  Mustiola (1775) and a work depicting St. Eracliano in adoration of the Christ Child, the original by Gian Giacomo Pandolfi was partially repainted in the 19th. century. Flanking the organ, 1804, are two paintings: Tobias and the Archangel Raphael by Pietro Tedeschi (1750-1805) on the right, and on the left a painting of the Braoque school touched up by Paolucci depicting St. Barbara.

 

summary based on: Federica Tesini, Pesaro. Itinerari di una città d’arte, Pesaro, Arti Grafiche Pesaresi Editore, 2009, p. 64

 

 

corso XI settembre 179
ownership and management parish

access for disabled

info 0721 31465