Portal of the culture of the Municipality of Pesaro
Chiesa della Maternità della MadonnaChurch of the Maternità della Madonna
Saturday 17 February 2018

Church of the Maternità della Madonna

Chiesa della Maternità. Foto di Lamberto Bozzi dal sito www.crtpesaro.it

This is an ancient parish church, known in 1216 as San Paterniano, to which the name of Santa Lucia was added in 1468. It was situated in the old quarter of San Giacomo, suppressed in the 17th. century and joined to San Carlo and Santa Lucia in Via Passeri. The present building was completely restructured in1732 by the architect Giovan Battista Togni. As from1860 the parish was transferred to the convent and church of San Carlo. It took the name of la Maternità in 1854 and was open for worship under the care of the congregation of the ‘Figlie del Cuore Sacratissimo di Gesù’. Over the sandstone portal is the Della Rovere family escutcheon; on the right stands the characteristic 18th. century wall-belfry. On the ceiling of the restored interior are three frescoed panels of the school of Giannandrea Lazzarini depicting the Maternità della Madonna. The painting on the right hand altar is of Sant’ Omobono, a merchant of fabrics from Bergamo who devoted himself to charitable works (d. 1197). The patron saint of shopkeepers and tailors, his feast day falls on 13th. November, when the feast of the ‘sartori’ (tailors) was celebrated in the ancient little church of the Maternità of the confraternity of St. Omobono. On the wall of the main altar is a fresco by Werther Bettini (Pesaro, 1909-1982). 


text based on: Giovanna Patrignani, Pesaro. La Radio storia della Città, Pesaro, Metauro Edizioni, 2008, p. 88-89



via della Maternità
ownership Arcidiocese of Pesaro
management Congregation ‘Figlie del Cuore Sacratissimo di Gesù’

no access for disabled

info 0721 31569

Municipality of Pesaro - Assessorato alla Bellezza (Town Councillorship for Beauty) via Rossini 37 - Contacts - Credits - Accountable administration - Copyright © 2010-2017 - P .iva: 00272430414