Home
Pesaro Culture
You are here: Home > What to see > Churches > Church of the Blessed Virgin of Mount Carmel (La Beata Vergine del Carmine)

Church of the Blessed Virgin of Mount Carmel (La Beata Vergine del Carmine)

Chiesa della Beata Vergine del Carmine
Chiesa della Beata Vergine del Carmine
interno della Chiesa della Beata Vergine del Carmine

The church dedicated to the Purification of the Blessed Virgin is the only sacred cloistral building in the city still officiated. Originally attached to the monastery  of the Servites, it was rebuilt between 1738 and 1773 on the design of Giuseppe Tranquilli of Pesaro. The cult of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, celebrated on June 16th., began with the suppression of the religious order during the Napoleonic period. Over the years the building has been abandoned and has changed hands. It was closed in danger of collapse in 1981 and, thanks to the involvement of a Town Committee and the Municipality, reopened in 1986. It is constructed on a Greek Cross plan and has an octagonal dome. The interior in the late Baroque style of the Marche is the result of a brilliant harmony of arches, cornices, capitals and garlands. The high altar, where there is an oval depicting Our Lady of Mount Carmel, originally held a Presentation at the Temple attributed by some to the school of Paolo Veronese, now above the left hand altar. Over the altar on the right hand is a 17th. century wooden crucifix from the neighbouring church of the ‘Suffragio’. In the chapel on the left is a statue of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (18th. century). Open for religious office,  the church is a rectory with juridical and pastoral autonomy and the seat of the Pious Union of Mount Carmel.


Adapted from: Federica Tesini, Pesaro. Itinerari di una città d’arte, Pesaro, Arti Grafiche Pesaresi Editore, 2009, p. 61

 

 

corso XI Settembre 227/1
ownership Municipality of Pesaro
management ‘Pia Unione della Beata Vergine del Carmine’

access for disabled

info 0721 371337 - 340 3390444