Portal of the culture of the Municipality of Pesaro
fiori
Chiesa di santa LuciaChurch of Santa Lucia
Saturday 25 November 2017

Church of Santa Lucia

Chiesa di santa Lucia
Proprietà Arcidiocesi di Pesaro. Autorizzazione alla riproduzione concessa dall’Ufficio Beni Culturali

The church of Saints Paternian and Lucia has been variously located over the centuries before being placed in via Passeri. The church was first named for St. Lucia, the martyr of Syracuse, in 1468, when her name was added to that of St. Paternian. At the time it stood where  the church of the Maternità now stands.

Built in the early seventeenth century, designed by an architect from Pesaro, Giambattista Bernabei, it was opened on November 4th. 1618, the day dedicated to St. Carlo Borromeo, Archbishop of Milan. It was first dedicated to St. Carlo and later given the name of  the two saints Carlo and Lucia, but was already known by the inhabitants of Pesaro as the Church of Santa Lucia, due to the feast-day celebrated there on the 13th. December. According to tradition Lucia, who was from an aristocratic Christian family, died a martyr during the Emperor Diocletian’s persecutions, precisely on 13th. December 304.

The present church is one of the few buildings remaining from the last Della Rovere period, when Duke Francesco Maria II introduced a new urban plan containing not many but important innovations, among them sacred buildings. The simple unfinished façade repeats some of the motifs of the neighbouring church of san Giovanni, in particular the niches and squares down either side of the front.

The interior, a nave and three altars, is with few alterations the one designed by Andrea Antaldi (b.1776), an architect from Urbino. Over the altar on the left of the nave is an eighteenth century painting of Santa Lucia of the school of Lazzarini. The panelled vaulted ceiling is dated 1623.

 

text based on: Giovanna Patrignani, Pesaro. La Radio storia della Città, Pesaro, Metauro Edizioni, 2008, pp. 64-65

 

 

via Passeri
ownership and management parish

no access for disabled

info 0721 69296

Municipality of Pesaro - Assessorato alla Bellezza (Town Councillorship for Beauty) via Rossini 37 - Contacts - Credits - Accountable administration - Copyright © 2010-2017 - P .iva: 00272430414