Home
Pesaro Culture
You are here: Home > What to see > Churches > Church of Santa Maria della Scala

Church of Santa Maria della Scala

Chiesa di santa Maria della Scala
Proprietà Arcidiocesi di Pesaro. Autorizzazione alla riproduzione concessa dall’Ufficio Beni Culturali

Founded before 1360, the church assumed its present form in 1822 on the initiative and with the financial contribution of the sailors, seafarers and fishermen of Pesaro, who commissioned the architect  Pietro Togni to design the church.

The elegantly proportioned Neoclassical brick façade has four stone columns with Corinthian capitals supporting the tympanum, above which, at a higher level, stand three statues, perhaps from the previous church: the Madonna of the Scala in the centre with an angel on either side.

In the churchyard is an eighteenth century statue of St. Andrew, the patron saint of sailors, originally in the church dedicated to this saint in corso XI settembre, which was suppressed in 1811. Pilasters and Corinthian capitals in the interior repeat the decorative elements of the façade. On the altar is a representation of the Visitation (1620 ca.). Two paintings on the side altars are: on the left, a copy of St. Andrew’s Miraculous Draught of Fish by Federico Barocci (the original is in Brussels) and on the right The Penitent Magdalen (1606-’08) by Terenzio Terenzi called il Rondolino.

When the Della Rovere city gate at the end of via Cavour was abolished In 1828, the harbour font was placed in the small piazza in front of the church, perhaps designed by Pietro Togni.

 

Text based on: Federica Tesini, Pesaro. Itinerari di una città d’arte, Pesaro, Arti Grafiche Pesaresi Editore, 2009, p. 60

 

 

piazza Doria
ownership and management parish

no access for disabled

info 0721 31978

parrocchiadelporto@libero.it