Portal of the culture of the Municipality of Pesaro
fiori
Fontana di piazza del PopoloFountain in piazza del Popolo
Monday 24 July 2017

Fountain in piazza del Popolo

Fontana di piazza del Popolo. Foto di Andrea Bertozzini
Fontana di piazza del Popolo. Foto di Andrea Bertozzini
Fontana di piazza del Popolo
Fontana di piazza del Popolo
Fontana di piazza del Popolo
Fontana di piazza del Popolo

There are four antique fountains still remaining in the centre of Pesaro. They have been restored in recent times and are: in piazza del Popolo; at the Trebbio in piazza Lazzarini; the harbour fountain of the Porto in piazza Doria; the Foglietta near the canal harbour in calata Caio Duilio. Following the enlargement of piazza del Popolo desired by Guidubaldo II Della Rovere, between 1588 and 1593 Francesco Maria II Della Rovere had a new fountain erected in the present largo Mamiani to replace the old 14th. century fountain. A ‘supervisor of the fountain’ was therefore elected, who also had the job of supervising the restructuring of the city’s aqueduct which fed the fountain. On the birth of Prince Federico Ubaldo Della Rovere (1605), eight grotesque masks were added, and on the marriage of Federico to Claudia de' Medici in 1621 a group of bronze dolphins and other embellishment. In 1684-’85 the fountain was radically modified by the sculptor Lorenzo Ottoni; the numerous water spouts were not purely for aesthetic effect but principally for the practical uses of the population, among these the longstanding customs of bringing animals to water and carts to be washed. The fountain was destroyed during the war, in 1944, and faithfully reconstructed on Ottoni’s model in 1960.  It was first  of the old city fountains in the Municipality of Pesaro’s plan to be restored. The 1988 restoration gave back its original colours: the white stone of Istria and red marble of Verona. Still today, as when it was called Pesaro’s ‘favourite’ (la ‘Pupilla’ di Pesaro), it represents the centre of the city and continues to be a point of reference for its citizens. 

 

Text based on: Giovanna Patrignani, Pesaro. La Radio storia della Città,  Pesaro, Metauro Edizioni, 2008, pp. 34-35

Municipality of Pesaro - Assessorato alla Bellezza (Town Councillorship for Beauty) via Rossini 37 - Contacts - Credits - Accountable administration - Copyright © 2010-2017 - P .iva: 00272430414