Home
Pesaro Culture
You are here: Home > Places of cultural interest > Locations for exhibitions and meetings > Palazzo Mazzolari Mosca

Palazzo Mazzolari Mosca

Ingresso Palazzo Mazzolari Mosca
Ingresso Palazzo Mazzolari Mosca
Ingresso Palazzo Mazzolari Mosca

This imposing building commissioned by Antonio Maria Mazzolari is the result of numerous renovations from the eighteenth century to the twentieth. It was built  between 1736 and 1768 to the design of Giannandrea Lazzarini, who made his pupil Tommaso Bicciaglia director of works, his support also in a case brought against him by the owner.

In the classical style typical of Lazzarini, the palazzo has a majestic façade with a fine portal flanked by matching columns supporting the first floor balcony. Through the atrium is the main staircase, a stairway of honour in size and formal elegance and the palazzo’s most important architectural feature.

After changing hands several times, the palazzo was bought in 1842 by the collector Marchesa Vittoria Mosca, who made it the residence of herself and her collection. On her death in 1885 she left both palazzo and collection in her will to the Municipality of Pesaro, in order to establish a Museum of Industrial Art for ‘studious youth’. The museum was inaugurated in 1888 and remained open until the early 20th. century.

Many of the rooms on the piano nobile are frescoed; the idea was Lazzarini’s and the work executed by a team of his apprentices. Some rooms in the style of the 19th. century were decorated in the taste of Vittoria, such as the great iron window with coloured glass on the first floor, or the double coat of arms of the Toschi and Mosca families on the ceiling of the central room.

The palazzo was occupied by municipal offices until 1930. Town Councillorship for Beauty, Municipal Galleries Art Library and the deposits of the Municipal Galleries are still located in the palazzo.

 

Text based on Radio Città racconta la storia di Pesaro, rubrica radiofonica a cura di Giovanna Patrignani, puntata del 21/12/2009

 



via Rossini 37
ownership and management Municipality of Pesaro

entrance to the offices of Town Councillorship for Beauty (Assessorato alla Bellezza)

info 0721 387398