Pesaro Culture
You are here: Home > What to see > Churches > Church of St. Ubaldo

Church of St. Ubaldo

Chiesa di sant' Ubaldo

Although the church has undergone numerous transformations over the years, it is still an appreciable example of seventeenth century architecture in Pesaro.

It was commissioned by the Community Council and built between 1610 and 1618 to fulfil a vow made in 1601 to assure a male heir to Francesco Maria II Della Rovere and his wife Livia Della Rovere. The desired son, Federico Ubaldo, was born on May 16th. 1605: hence the name of the church.

The church is on an octagonal plan and has a tall bronze-covered dome (consolidated 1964-'65) and a lantern supported on eight brick columns, entirely renewed in 1965. The fašade as it appears today is the result of considerable modification in the neo-classical style financed in 1853 by Conte Mamiani. The front on via della Rovere has not undergone any change.
The interior was restructured between 1926 and 1931, the design by the architect Mario Urbani transformed the church into a votive chapel for all victims from Pesaro of all wars. On the central altar was a wooden crucifix, now in the deposits of the Musei Civici, by Agostino Vannini from Bassano del Grappa.

There is also an empty tomb, placed here by Francesco Maria II for his parents, Guidubaldo II Della Rovere and Vittoria Farnese.



largo Mamiani
ownership and management Municipality of Pesaro
opening hours

no access for disabled

info 0721 3871, 0721 387398