Home
Pesaro Culture
You are here: Home > What to see > Churches > Church of San Giuseppe

Church of San Giuseppe

Chiesa di san Giuseppe
Proprietà Arcidiocesi di Pesaro. Autorizzazione alla riproduzione concessa dall’Ufficio Beni Culturali

The church has been rebuilt and amplified several times since it was founded early in the 17th. century. It was consecrated on 18th. March 1626 and then demolished and rebuilt on a larger scale between 1660 and 1671, to hold the ever more numerous faithful. It was radically restructured in 1783 by the architect Tommaso Biccciaglia, a pupil and collaborator of Giannandrea Lazzarini. The work was the consequence of the removal of the parish of San Michele Arcangelo to the church of San Giuseppe after the suppression of the confraternity of the same name. The decaying structure of San Michele, of which the churchyard survives in via Giordano Bruno, was abandoned and its religious ornaments transferred to the church of San Giuseppe. Restructuring work was done on the  parsonage, belfry, floor, graves et al. for the occasion.

In 1846 notable interior modifications were made to altars, plaster cornices and shutters. The sandstone portal is dated 1875 and the brick façade is ornamented with panelled and, in the median order, niched blind windows.

The interior is a single aisle with the five altars which have been there since the church’s foundation. Over the first altar on the left is a copy of the Sacra Famiglia by Guercino, the work of his pupil Teodoro Amati (1605-1679); above the high altar is one of the last paintings by Terenzio Terenzi (il Rondolino) (1575/’80-1621 ca) depicting the  Holy Family with St. Joseph. The paintings of saints in the two trompe l’oeil niches on the font are attributed to Lazzarini. Curiously: since it was carpenters who wanted this church of St. Joseph, all the decorations (capitals, cornices, window motifs etc.) are not of the usual plaster or stucco, but of wood. 

 

summary based on an unpublished text by Federica Tesini

 

 

via Spada
ownership and management parish